The Fiesta La Ballona is Happening in Culver City This August
Culver City’s annual “Party in the Park” is happening next week on August 25-27 at Veterans Park, and Fiesta La Ballona will be presenting three days of free live music and dancing as part of the celebration.
The “Party in the Park” is produced by the city of Culver City, the Fiesta La Ballona Committee, many local sponsors, and close to a hundred volunteers. Martin Feinberg, Culver City Realtor, recognizes the effort that goes into the party each year, and how it benefits the Culver City Real Estate area.
Because this year is Culver City’s Centennial Celebration, the Fiesta La Ballona entertainment program will focus on “A Century of Music.” All performances will take place in the Entertainment Tent, which opens Friday August 25th at 4:30.
Corey and the Cohorts will open the extravaganza with early Jazz and Swing classics on Friday, and will be followed by the Opening Ceremonies at 6:00. Mayor Jeffrey Cooper will lead these, along with members of the Culver City Council, Parks, Recreation, and Community Services Commission, and the Fiesta La Ballona Committee.
Following the Opening Ceremonies, Fiesta-Palooza will begin at 6:30. This will showcase local teen bands Eliza, The Narts, Leaving London, Mediocre, and Street Play. Flynn Namala and Ryan Silver of the Blank Minds coordinated this event.
On Saturday the 26th the lineup will go as follows:
- Noon-Street Corner Renaissance, a Doo Wop Quintet
- 1:00-Grupo Folklorico Macias performing folk dances of Mexico
- 1:45-Fortunate Son will pay tribute to Creedence Clearwater Revival
- 2:30-Grupo La Rosa
- 3:30-Teresa James and the Rhythm Tramps sing the Blues
- 4:30Ho-Aloha Polynesian Dancers
- 5:15-Corday Undercover doing ‘80s Hits and beyond
- 6:00-The Edge Dance Studio performing Hip Hop and Jazz
- 7:00-Hollywood Blonde featuring Top 40 Hits in a dance party
Sunday’s performances will begin at 11 a.m.-
- 11:00-Cali Rose and the CC Strummers featuring the ukulele
- 11:45-Orquesta Charangoa performing traditional Cuban orchestra
- 12:30-Xorotroptzli doing Bulgarian heritage dancing
- 1:30-Crawdaddio performing Zydeco music
- 2:30-Brasil Brasil Cultrual Center doing Capoeira
- 3:15-Quitapenas performing Afro-Latin music
- 4:00-Ballet Folkloric de Claudia Jeanette
- 5:00-The Fenians close the festivities with Celtic Rock
The Red Swan Entertainment Stilt Walkers will intermittently wander the park on both Saturday and Sunday.
Martin Feinberg, Realtor, would like to thank this year’s sponsors for making the celebration possible.
The sponsors include Co+Opportunity Market & Deli and Sony Pictures Entertainment, T-Mobile, Tito’s Tacos, Kane Balmer & Berkman, Los Angeles County Arts Commission, and Steeldeck, Inc., Golden State Water, HeArt Realtors, The Culver Studios, Backstage Bar & Grill, The Vivian Lesny Group, SoCal Gas Company, HaltonPardee Partners, Echo Horizon School, AYSO (Region 19), Ivy Station, and Culver City Rotary Club, Cavanaugh Realtors, The Conservatory for Coffee, Tea & Cocoa, ZogSports, and Mayme A. Clayton Library and Museum, Galaxy Star Squad (appearance Aug. 26 noon-4 p.m.), L.A. Kings Ice Crew (appearance Aug. 26 4:15 p.m.-8 p.m.), Angel City Derby Girls (Bike Valet), LA Weekly, KCET (appearance Aug. 26 11 a.m.-6 p.m.), Jack-FM (appearance Aug. 27 11 a.m.-3 p.m.), and KLOS (appearance Aug. 27 4 p.m.-8 p.m.), and Haynes Building Services.
The Fiesta La Ballona hours are 4:30 p.m.-10 p.m. on Friday, 11 a.m.-10 p.m. on Saturday, and 11 a.m.-9 p.m. on Sunday. It takes place at 4117 Overland Ave., Culver City. For more information, or to volunteer, visit www.fiestalaballona.org or call 310-253-6550.